Marrakech to Fes desert trip
DEPARTING FROM MARRAKESH: 3-DAY DESERT TRIP TO FEZ
Please Note: This desert trip requires a minimum of two participants per booking.
Anyone visiting Morocco knows that the major cities of Marrakesh and Fez are a must-see. Combining Fez and Marrakesh with a Marrakech to fes desert trip is the absolute ultimate in trips – you get to experience the beauty and mystique of the great Sahara Desert and you’ll experience two of Morocco’s most beautiful cities.
Here Are Some of the Highlights of Our 3 Day Desert Trip to Fez:
- On departing from Marrakesh, we’ll pass through Tizi-n-Tichka Pass, a mountain pass that links the south-east of Marrakesh to Ouarzazate through the High Atlas Mountains. The views from the Pass are incredible, so cameras are a must!
- We’ll visit Ait Ben Haddou, the world famous fortified village where many Hollywood blockbuster movies have been shot;
- We’ll visit the cinema studios, and the Kasbah of Taourirt in the city centre. This is a very impressive fortification! This immense structure is only connected to the outside world by a narrow entrance doorway, but once inside it’s a maze of passageways, keylock doors, steps, and a whopping 300 rooms!
- Together we’ll enjoy historical monuments such as Roses Valley, Skoura, El Kelaa des M’Gouna and Boumalene Dades, all the while marvelling at the magnificent natural beauty of this region;
- We’ll stay in our secluded Berber camp somewhere in the Erg Chebbi sand dunes, and we’ll enjoy a camel trekking excursion;
- On our journey to Fez we’ll pass through many fascinating places, like Arfoud, Errachidia, Ziz Valley, Meditlt, the Cedar Forests of Azrou, and Ifrane;
- We’ll pass through Tinjdad and many Berber villages as we explore Todra Gorge.
Tour Itinerary for fes desert trip from Marrakech
Day 1: 7-Hour Drive from Marrakech to Dades
Your English-speaking guide will pick you up from your riad or hotel in Marrakesh at 7:30am, and we’ll begin our journey through the High Atlas Mountains via the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass. Our first stop will be at Kasbah Ait Ben Haddow, but we’ll take our time and make several stops along the way. Kasbah Ait Ben Haddow is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and it’s also famous because several Hollywood blockbuster movies were filmed here. We’ll visit Taourirt Kasbah and we’ll pass through the Valley of Roses on our way to Boumalne Dades as we head for our boutique guest house in Dade’s Valley.
Our evening meal and overnight accommodation will be in Dade’s Valley.
Day 2: 4-Hour Drive from Dade’s to Merzouga
After breakfast we’ll travel along the road of 1001 Kasbahs as we journey to the Tinghir oasis. The scenery on this route is simply amazing, and we’ll pass fortified villages which, until the early 20th century, hosted camel caravans. On arrival at Tinghir, a city in the Drâa-Tafilalet region which, during the French occupation was a military post, we’ll change course and visit the oasis. It’s always fascinating watching the local farmers taking care of their cattle as we stroll along the stream. You’ll be amazed at the beauty of Todgha Gorge, which is at the end of our walk. We’ll enjoy a leisurely lunch at one of the local cafes, then continue our journey on to Rissani.
Rissani, one of Morocco’s holiest towns, is the closest town of significant size to the largest sand desert in Morocco, the Erg Chebbi. Between the 14th and 18th centuries Rissani was where the desert capital Sijilmassa existed, where slaves and gold were traded via camel caravans crossing the Sahara Desert all the way to Tomboctou. Today, Rissani consists of one square and a single street, but echoes of the past still remain in this fascinating town. After leaving Rissani we’ll travel across some rocky terrain to meet up with our camel caravan at Merzouga.
We’ll now enjoy camel trekking across the Erg Chebbi sand dunes to watch a magnificent sunrise, before trekking back to our secluded authentic Sahara Desert camp, tucked somewhere in the sand dunes. The evening will include entertainment by local nomads serenading us with the music of their drums, while we enjoy a Moroccan dinner under the stars, next to the camp fire.
Day 3: 8-Hour Drive from Merzouga to Fez
After enjoying a leisurely breakfast at our desert camp, we’ll start our journey to Fez. We’ll pass through Errachidia, the capital of the Tafilalt region; we’ll cross The Ziz Valley then continue on to enjoy lunch at Midelt. Travelling across the Middle Atlas Mountains we’ll see the beautiful Cedar forests and pass through the fascinating Berber towns of Imouzzar and Ifran. It will be late afternoon when your Marrakech to fes desert trip comes to an end and we arrive in Fez. Your driver will take you to your Riad or Hotel.
What’s Included in Your fes desert trip from Marrakech:
- You’ll be picked up from your riad or hotel in Marrakesh by our English-speaking driver/guide in our modern air-conditioned van or 4×4.
- Your first night will be spent in a private air-conditioned ensuite room at either the Hotel Babylon or the Auberge Panorama. Your evening meal and breakfast are included in your Marrakech to fes desert trip.
- We’ll go camel trekking together across the Erg Chebbi sand dunes
- Your overnight stay at our secluded Sahara Desert camp in the Erg Chebbi sand dunes will be spent in a private tent, with guests sharing bathrooms. Morning showers are available at the camp operator’s lodge. Please note that your evening meal and breakfast are included in your Marrakech to fes desert trip.
If you’d prefer accommodation in a deluxe camp with an ensuite, you can upgrade at the time of booking for an additional fee of €70 per person.
- Your Marrakech to fes desert trip will be over when your tour guide drops you off at your riad or hotel in Fez.
Marrakech to Fes desert trip price per person:
|2 Pax||3 Pax||4 Pax||5 Pax||6 Pax||7 Pax||8 Pax||9 Pax||10-16 Pax|
|€ 365||€ 265||€ 215||€ 185||€ 170||€ 165||€ 155||€ 150||€ 139|