shared marrakech to fes desert tour
3-DAY MARRAKESH TO FEZ DESERT TRIP: MINIMUM OF 2 TRAVELLERS PER BOOKING
Visitors to Morocco should ensure they take the opportunity to visit the major cities of Marrakesh and Fez and have these cities included in your tour. We strongly recommend that you combine your Sahara Desert experience with the cities of Marrakesh and Fez – two of Morocco’s simply amazing cities.
Shared marrakech to fes desert tour highlights:
- We’ll travel through the famous Tizi-n-Tichka Pass as we drive through the high Atlas Mountains;
- We’ll visit the fortified village of Air Ben Haddou, the location of many famous movies;
- We’ll visit the cinema studios and the Kasbah of Taourirt in the city centre;
- You’ll marvel at historical monuments and beautiful landscapes such as Roses Valley, Skoura, Boumalene Dades and El Kelaa des M’Gouna;
- We’ll pass through many Berber villages and together we’ll explore Todra Gorges and Tinjdad;
- In the sand dunes of Erg Chebbi we’ll visit a Berber camp and you’ll get to experience riding a camel;
- On our journey to Fez we’ll pass through fascinating places like Arfoud, Errachidia, Ziz Valley, Meditlt, Cedar Forests of Azrou, Ifrane.
Tour Itinerary for Shared Marrakesh to Fes Desert Trip
Day 1: 7-Hour Drive from Marrakesh to Dades
We’ll leave Marrakesh from your hotel or riad at 7:30am and begin our shared Marrakesh to Fez desert trip. After passing through the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass and the high Atlas Mountains we’ll be making several stops. We’ll pay a visit to UNESCO world heritage Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou, the unforgettable backdrop for many Hollywood blockbuster movies, then visit Sabah Taourirte in Ouarzazate before having a leisurely lunch. We’ll travel through the Valley of Roses on our way to Boumalne Dades, then eventually arrive at our welcoming boutique guest house, located in beautiful grounds in Dade’s Valley.
A sumptuous dinner and welcome overnight stay will leave us excited to begin day 2 of this amazing desert tour.
Day 2: 4-Hour Drive from Dade’s to Merzouga
After breakfast we’ll begin day-2 of our journey by travelling to Tinghir Oasis by way of road 1001 Kasbah. It’s here you’ll be amazed when you see what’s left of the fortified villages that hosted the trading caravans right up until the early 20th century. Tinghir was originally a military post during the French occupation, and from here we’ll deviate onto a secondary road to visit the Oasis. You’ll see locals farming and herding their goats, and we’ll then walk down to the stream and follow along until we arrive at the magnificent Todgha Gorge. After a delightful lunch at a local Café we’ll continue on to one of the holiest towns in Morocco, Rissani. It’s from here that the Alaouites originated, and their founder is buried here. Interestingly, Rissani is renowned as the original starting point for trading caravans as they prepared to cross the Sahara Desert on their way to Tomboctou.
We now have some rather rocky terrain to travel together on our way to Merzouga, where we meet up with our camel caravan. Now you’ll get to experience the most beautiful sunset as you enjoy a camel ride over Erg Chebbi sand dunes. After this amazing experience we’ll return to our Berber desert camp, nestled in the dunes of the Sahara Desert.
Dinner will be a memorable affair; you’ll dine under the stars and you’ll marvel at your hosts as they entertain you with their drums throughout the night.
Day 3: 8-Hour Drive from Merzouga to Fez
We’ll start the day with a camel trek to watch an unbelievable sunrise, then return to enjoy breakfast at our Lodge in Merzouga. You’ll have time to freshen up before farewelling the members of your group who are leaving to return to Marrakesh. It’s now time to meet the driver who will escort you to Fez, and you’ll join a group of travellers (maximum of six) as you leave for the long drive to Fez. Your journey will take you through Ziz Valley to the capital of the Tafilalt region, Errachidia.
A leisurely lunch will be served at Midelt, after which we’ll continue our trip across the Middle Atlas Mountains. We’ll travel through Berber towns, and we’ll arrive at Fez after driving through the Cedar forests of Imouzzar and Ifran. Your driver will complete your shared Marrakesh to Fez desert tour by dropping you off at your Riad or hotel of choice in Fez.
What’s Included in Your Tour:
- You’ll travel in our modern air-conditioned minibus with no more than 17 passengers for the first and second days, and no more than six passengers on the third day;
- You’ll travel with one of our knowledgeable English/French speaking drivers;
- Dinner and breakfast are included in your first night at the hotel Kasbah Dades;
- You get to experience camel trekking in the sand dunes at Erg Chebbi;
- Dinner and breakfast are included in your overnight stay at our Sahara Desert camp in Erg Chebbi;
- Your driver will set you down at your location of choice in Fez.
- What’s Not Included in Your Trip:
- Lunches and beverages on the way;
- Personal expenses;
- Optional local guide at Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou (2 Euros per person).
Packing for Your Tour:
Our suggestions for packing for your Marrakesh desert tour to Fez include, but are not limited to, the following items :
- Trousers or jeans for camel trekking (skirts and shorts are not recommended);
- Warm clothes during winter season;
- Sunscreen and hat;
- Camera and phone chargers.